Log in

for ill or nil [userpic]

My natural birth story.

April 29th, 2009 (04:38 pm)

current mood: accomplished

I had a pretty good hunch that my son was going to come early. Besides just having a feeling that he would, a family member of mine who is a psychic also mentioned that she thought he would come early. I never thought he would be three weeks early though, that's for sure.

Maximilian Orion
April 26, 2009 at 2:21 PM
6 lbs 2 oz, 52 cm long
Apgar 9 and 10

Around 8:00 PM on April 25th, I started having painful BH contractions. They would go back and forth from regular to irregular. I was watching my fiance play WoW and trying to time them. I had a feeling they would probably stall out, since I had regular non-painful BH contractions for weeks before that. I bounced on my yoga ball and laid on my heating pad intermittently. My fiance suggested we walk around the block to see if things would pick up. When I got home, I had a bath and things slowed and stopped. I was a little disappointed, but got over it pretty quick.

My fiance and I got into bed and watched Constantine. We made a McD's run at 2:30 AM. I finished two cheeseburgers in three minutes flat, lol. Bewitched came on after Constantine so we started watching that. I was lying flat on my back, completely relaxed, when all of a sudden I heard and felt a loud POP. I told my fiance and he made a joke that our son gave me a good boot to the tummy, but I knew it couldn't have been that because it felt very low and felt nothing like a kick. I got out of bed, and just as I had thought, my water had broken! My fiance looked terrified, and I was even a little nervous because I hadn't had a contraction in hours. I spent the next hour going back and forth from the bathroom to the bedroom to Google, trying to figure out what to do. Since I wasn't having regular contractions, my fiance hugged me, cuddled me and said that he loved me, he was there for me and if labor was starting we would need as much rest as possible, so we should try and get some sleep. I agreed. By this time it was probably around 5 AM. He passed out and I spent the next hour trying to clear my mind and ignore my random contractions. I probably slept about an hour before a big one woke me up.

I tried timing them but it was hard. Sometimes I couldn't tell when they had ended, as my son was in Occiput Posterior position and the pressure and pain in my lower back lingered long after the pain in my abdomen subsided. I lost my mucous plug. I bounced on my yoga ball, paced around my house, and finally decided to get into a hot shower. When I came out, I was still having contractions. I decided to wake my fiance up for support. We both started packing and discussing what we would do over the next few hours. My contractions were probably around 8 minutes apart by 8:30 AM. When I had one, I would call out to my fiance as I made my way into the bedroom. The only thing that helped was leaning over the bed on my elbows and my fiance putting pressure on my lower back. I started to worry about the state our house was in and what my midwife/doula would think when they saw how messy it was. Random, I know. I swept and tidied between contractions.

By 10 AM, contractions were about 4 minutes apart and getting a lot more intense. My lower back throbbed between contractions. My fiance called my midwife and doula, who were both shocked that I was not only in labor, but that I had waited so long to call them! Honestly, I was in pain from the contractions, but they were pretty bareable, and I felt bad waking them up early on a Sunday.

My midwife arrived at 10:30. She checked my son's heartbeat and everything was perfect. I had taken the Group B Strep test only days before, and the lab still didn't have the results. For this reason, my midwife suggested that we head to the hospital so I could be administered antibiotics just in case. I was unhappy about this, but it was for the best. She checked my cervix and I was 3 cm dilated and 100% effaced. She told us where to meet her at the hospital and headed out the door. My fiance went out after her to start loading up the car. I had a contraction all alone, and it was torture! I felt so alone and it hurt so much. A few minutes later, my midwife came back into the house and started calling my doula to tell her to meet us at the hospital. After my next contraction, I asked her where Tom (my fiance) was. She sort of stuttered and stumbled and then finally said "He thinks he has a flat tire so he's just figuring out what to do." I panicked! She assured me she would drive us to the hospital, but my main thought was having to come home from the hospital in my father-in-law's car that reeked like cigarette smoke with my baby boy. I was just about to lose it when my fiance came in and said the air was just low in his tire and everything was fine. We headed off to the hospital minutes later.

The drive was agony. I could not lie down during a contraction, but sitting was even worse so I had no choice. I was in the back of the car, moaning through contractions, and my fiance had one hand between his door and his seat, holding my hand. He put on some Bush and I tried singing to cope. It really did help a little, and I thought it was a little weird that even though I was in so much pain, I actually felt like singing along, lol. We had all the windows down for air as I almost puked a number of times and air was the only thing that helped.

I got to the hospital and my fiance dropped me off at Emergency and went to park the car. My midwife was supposed to be there and wasn't and I panicked a little. I felt like everyone was staring at me as I checked in. The woman behind the desk seemed totally uncaring and unphased as I leaned on her desk during a contraction. My midwife arrived a few minutes later and the woman behind the desk insisted she get me a wheelchair. I said "NO I don't want a wheelchair!" and walked off. My fiance met us in the hall and I insisted we take the stairs. I had two contractions on my way up the stairs and had to stop, with my midwife and my fiance both rubbing my lower back. My midwife joked that I was going to walk my baby out.

When we got into the room around noon, I realized I had forgotten the skirt I had bought specifically for labor at home. I ended up in my underwear and a tanktop. My midwife got me some water and ice chips and two buckets, since I still felt like I was going to throw up. I kept leaning on the bed and rocking my hips back and forth. It felt really natural to do this and really helped me get through the contractions. My doula arrived, and a few minutes later a nurse came in to administer the antibiotics. I have a huge issue with needles, and she demanded that I lie down for the procedure, which made me really upset. I started to cry. My fiance held my hand as the nurse put in the IV and I had a contraction simultaneously. At the end of it I really wanted to knock this cow out. This wasn't the last I would see of her either unfortunately. I threw up a few times after that, although there wasn't much to throw up since I hadn't been able to finish my breakfast at home for some reason.

My doula showed my fiance how to apply a huge amount of pressure on my hip and lower back without hurting me. During contractions, I would lean over the bed as my doula pressed on one side and my fiance pressed on the other. Everyone was really calm and soothing and encouraging. My son's heartbeat was still perfect. I mentioned to my midwife that I wanted to get into the tub, and she checked me again to see how I was progressing. At this point I was 5 cm dilated, so she ran the tub. I got in a few minutes later and it was heaven! My fiance turned off the lights and he sat on the side of the tub holding my drink for me. We realized there were jets on the tub and turned them on. I grinned and felt so much happier and more calm. My fiance joked that I should picture myself on an island somewhere on the beach, and to imagine that the water he was giving me was Dom Perignon. Everything felt great, that is until I had a contraction. Lying down was terrible for me like I said, and having more than a few minutes in between contractions made the contractions even more harsh and painful when they finally did come. I endured two contractions before I decided, mid-contraction, that I was getting the hell out. This is where things get a bit blurry.

I was so exhausted by this point. I tried lying down on the bed, but would be in such excruciating pain when the contractions hit that my fiance would have to pull me out so I could find a better position to be in. My midwife left to grab lunch (I found this a little unnerving, especially since she asked the same nurse to come back in and make sure things were okay while she was gone). Every second contraction or so, she would come at me with the fetal Doppler or whatever it's called to check my son's heartbeat (which up to this point was still perfect and there was no real reason for her to be checking it). I had been lying down on the bed after my last contraction, when she advanced on me with the Doppler. She put it on me and immediately I had another contraction. I started to get out of bed, and she told me to stop! I literally pushed her out of my way while saying "I have to stand up PLEASE!". I was so angry, but I refused to let it hinder my labor.

I threw up again, twice. My midwife came back and I told her that I wasn't sure if I needed to push or not, since my back labor had been so harsh and it felt a lot like I needed to have a bowel movement. She checked me and I was 9 cm at this point. She told me if I felt the need to push then to give in and go for it. I labored on the toilet with just my fiance for a few minutes, me leaning back as far as possible while he pulled my arms forward. I lost my mind at this point. I was so sleep deprived and exhausted. I threw my arms around my fiance in the bathroom and said "Tomek, I can't do this! I can't do it! It's too hard! I just want to give up!". He reassured me that I was so close, that I could do it, and hugged me tight.

My midwife offered me the gas at this point, and I didn't even acknowledge what she had said. I don't remember acknowledging her anyways. I didn't want the gas. All I wanted was for it to be over!! I was really confused at this point. My midwife asked me where I wanted to push, and I remember being so worried and unsure, I just kept saying "I don't know, I don't know." Finally she told me I should try getting onto the bed and lying on my side, and that this was a very good position to give birth in. My fiance held my leg and my hand on one side, and my doula held my hand on the other. Like I said before, I was so exhausted at this point that even though I could have pushed during contractions, I just laid there and tried to regain what little energy I had left. I started pushing at 1:40. For anyone who has had back labor, you will know what I mean when I say that this was not a relief at all from the contractions. I was screaming at this point, I couldn't stop myself. It was primal and involuntary. At one point I apologized to everyone for how loud I was being, and they all seemed amused and assured me that I wasn't being as loud as I thought I was being (I think they were just trying to be nice though). During crowning, I looked up at my fiance and grabbed him and cried out "TOMEK! IT HURTS SO MUCH! MAKE IT STOP!" and he looked so helpless and confused and upset and I felt really guilty after.

My son sat on my perineum for a few minutes before I could gain the energy to push again. Three more pushes and he was out. Maximilian Orion was born at 2:21 PM on April 26, 2009. I didn't tear at all, thanks to the fact that his head sat on my perineum for so long. He was and is absolutely perfect. I am still sleep deprived, but it's a happy deprivation :)


Posted by: g0dl0vesugly (g0dl0vesugly)
Posted at: April 30th, 2009 06:33 am (UTC)

You are one tough woman!

Posted by: ((Anonymous))
Posted at: April 30th, 2009 04:00 pm (UTC)

AMAZING pics hun - so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing I love it! I just had my first baby - 19.5 hour labour, very exhausting, but my little man came in weighing a healthy 7.7lbs. It was a nightmare delivery (tore both ways!) to be honest, maybe thats because he's my first! I had an epidural after 15 hours but his head wouldn't move down so they had to assist. I was pretty worried that he wouldn't latch on because of the epidural, but he seems to be feeding fine and I am a very proud and happy mother of Marlow. You should hare your story with all the other mummies at http://my.bounty.com/forums/ I know they would love it! xxx

2 Read Comments